Monday 9 July 2007

Live Earth

I went to the Live Earth concert on Saturday, with my friend Lisa. We had a good day, although it wasn't as fantastic as I had expected. The acts were mostly great, but it was a bit disjointed because there was a longish break in between each act, eg 15 or 20 mins, so it didn't build up momentum until close to the end really.

Crowded House were the best by a long shot, partly because they were the one act where everyone knew the songs' lyrics so the whole stadium could sing along. It was a special moment to see them back on stage after 11 years - I was at their last concert (in 1996) so it was satisfying to be at their return performance as well.

I also liked Blue King Brown, Sneaky Sound System and the John Butler Trio. I missed most of Paul Kelly's set waiting in the line at the bar (grr) but I have seen him perform before. Missy Higgins was great, more "rock" in style than I expected.

There was a lot of talk about climate change and what we can do to help, and I have to admit I mostly tuned out to those bits! Although I did learn it's more energy efficient to boil only the water you need for a cuppa, instead of filling up the kettle.

So all up, it was a concert worth going to, but a bit rough around the edges so not the best show ever.

The funniest bit of the event was after it finished, as we were getting collected by Adam in the new car. He had a bit of trouble getting to us, and had to chuck a U-turn on Cleveland St, then he drove up onto the footpath so we could get in (and so he was out of the way of the traffic). I don't think the other drivers knew what to make of it! I think just having bought a 4WD might had have something to do with it....it was all highly illegal driving, but effective!

3 comments:

Katzmutha said...

I wonder if the new car is facilitating the emergence of Adam's inner maverick.

Alison said...

perhaps...we'll have to see what else he gets up to!

Nixter said...

illegal but effective - nice work Adam.

Glad you had fun, even though it wasn't what you expected ;(

Hope you are having an amazing holiday ;)