Monday 23 July 2007

The end of stress

Ruth wrote a post a few weeks ago about how the word “bored” is banned in her family. It got me thinking that perhaps I should ban the word “stress” from my vocabulary. It’s a boring word that I used multiple times each day.

At the moment I often feel worried, tired, drained and sometimes angry. I usually sum this up as “feeling stressed”. This is not very helpful as it is a bit of an airy fairy concept that describes a physical feeling, not the emotion causing the physical symptoms. It deals with the symptom, not the cause.

I can’t change the things that make me feel this way, but I can change how I think about them. I can also make sure I make an effort to relax, so that being stressed is not my normal state and so I get some time out, mentally and physically.

So if you hear me saying I am stressed, you have my permission to hit me! And then maybe offer some camomile tea or a month on a desert island or something....

9 comments:

ud said...

The long commute is the big issue. I've worked with many people who have done it from the Coast and also the Blue Mountains. Overall - it's just not good for anyone. It takes a big toll on all those who do it. It would be worse if you had to drive that distance but - a lot more stress.
Keep physically fit and plan an escape strategy.

Alison said...

I think the commuting would be fine if I didn't have a life to run at the same time! I think it gives me less patience and energy to deal with the harder things in life that come along occasionally, so it's easy to feel worn out emotionally. I'm working on the exit strategy...it was never my plan to do it long term anyways.
Tim used to do a long trip every day, didn't he. I think it takes longer to get to the mountains than the coast.

Katzmutha said...

There's nothing wrong with saying you're stressed, Al, especially as you have all that commuting to do. Talking about banned words, the word "oo-ah" was banned by Papa in the Aysom household when we were kids.I can't remember why it was banned or if the ban was ever lifted. Maybe it's still banned!

ud said...

Yeah, UT used to train from the Blue Mtns (Hazelbrook aka Freezlebrook) to the city every day - it would be bit more than the trip from Gossie. He also drove from Orange to Bathurst every day for some years and now drives about an hour to Newie then back every day.

Speaking of oo-ahs, what about those who often say "Ah-haa" when they're not actually referring to the central theme of this blog!

Nixter said...

I will be praying for you Alsion - for less stress/more relaxign time.
The communte can't be easy and must wear you out!

Alison said...

Thanks KM and Nixter. The commuting does wear me out, but there's been some other tough things to deal with lately so it's a combination of a few different things really. But this week has been an improvement, and I have a whole weekend to relax in coming up! I have a date with with the paper and the couch :)

ud said...

Ha ha.... a date with the paper & the couch. Jase would say a date with a tractor & some dirt. We all chill out in our own way. I have become an addict to computer magazines for some weird reason. I'm also getting into CorelDraw thanks to Mummidogs.

Alison said...

What are you drawing?

ud said...

Well, you know. The Cat is so simple - just circles and lines...