Friday 31 October 2008

Mannerisms

Something I notice about myself every now and again is how quick I am to pick up other people's mannerisms.

If I spend a bit of time with someone (and it doesn't have to be very long), I often adopt one or two of their mannerisms or ways of speaking, without meaning to at all.

I mean, I know I sound and move like my mum and dad - for example, yesterday I dropped something and my immediate response was to say "Giddy Art!" exactly the same way mum does. I think it's derived from the phrase "Giddy Heart" but I've got no idea really.

That I can understand, but I don't even have to like someone, let alone be related to them, to start mimicking them.

It makes me wonder - what's me and what's not?? Spooky...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's giddy aunt. ifind that "shishkebarb' is most useful myself.

Anonymous said...

we are all mirrors of our environment, so watch out who you associate with

Katzmutha said...

Look, Al, you don't have to worry. The fact is that you are mostly yourself and about 98% of what you say and do is pure Alisonian.

Alison said...

Giddy heart makes more sense though doesn't it?

I'm not sure KM - perhaps we are all products of who we know and our ancestors - if we could travel back in time there might be a giddy aunt somewhere in the Aysom lineage who's responsible for all this!

Alison said...

I do have a rather silly dance I do that I'm pretty sure is 100% me. Next time you want a laugh ask me to show it to you!

Tracy said...

Hi Alison! Thanks for coming by my blog. I haven't been here to yours in a long time, I just realized. You have been very busy! I hope that Hamish does well in his cot and you all get some more sleep soon. :o)

Mary said...

I have a 'it's freezing' dance which appears sometimes and I don't even notice I'm doing it hahahaha.