Wednesday 5 March 2008

A bit over it

I've been a subscriber to the Briefing magazine for probably 6 years, and Southern Cross for about 12 months. Lately I've found it pretty much impossible to get into reading them – I flick through and then put them aside, feeling vaguely guilty about my lack of interest in the finer points of evangelical theology or the Sydney Anglican scene (and for paying for something I'm not reading). Plus I struggle to bother to read newsletters from places like missionary organisations and charities.

I'm not sure why this is – I used to really enjoy them. I think it's ok to stop enjoying something, I just want to work out why this is how I'm feeling. I think in general I'm more interested in practical Christian writing at the moment, so blogs like 168hrs.blogspot.com and girltalk.blogs.com/girltalk/are more interesting to me, plus perhaps I'm just too tired to care really about theoretical things.

It could be, in this age of blogs, I'm less tuned in to reading magazines and papers. But I don't have a problem getting through the Herald on the weekend. Hmmm.

Or perhaps as we go on in the Christian walk it's natural for different media to connect with us at different times. I guess I should just make sure I am getting some sort of Christian encouragement and stimulation, and that whatever it is, is true to the gospel and bible in general.

Have your reading habits and where you look for spiritual stimulation changed over the years? I'm interested to know if other people have had similar experiences.

7 comments:

Dominic said...

Hi Alison - I was going to send you a private email but - you seem to have fallen out of our address book :( Could you please send me your contact details. Cheers, Dominic

Alison said...

Hi Dominic, I've sent you an email.

Katzmutha said...

How about sending me an email too, Al!No, it's OK, only kidding.

I think you are such a blessing to our family! That you care so much about spiritual things is a big hit with me. I think we all change in our perceptions of things as time goes by. I used to be so strict in my beliefs, and basically thought anyone who didn't go to church was going to hell, but I've mellowed a lot over the years. Now I would call myself a spiritual liberal, and I'm a lot happier to be this way. God is so much bigger than we can imagine, and uses millions of different ways to communicate with us. If something has stopped feeding your spirit, don't worry. You have enough sense of what spirit is to know if a source of inspiration or comfort is doing you good.

Alison said...

I agree KM that we find different things useful at different times in life, I guess I want to make sure that whatever it is that I use, is focused on God's word. There's a lot of airy fairy stuff out there that goes under the banner of "spiritual", so it pays to be discerning.

Katzmutha said...

There's a lot of churchy stuff out there that isn't particularly spiritual too.

Alison said...

That's true. Must find the happy medium!

Nixter said...

I was going to write a 'briefing' post too.

I find them hard to get into sometimes too, I have a backlog of copies waiting to be read!