Saturday 1 August 2009

Reading, Reading, Reading

About a year ago, I wrote about how I was meant to be reading 3 books a day to Hamish. I wasn't doing it then, but let me tell you - we are making up for lost time now!

Hamish is acting like he's in training for the baby reading olympics or something - he is obsessed with having books read to him. Which is lovely - and something I always looked forward to doing with my kids - but seriously, when you're being asked to read stories at least 30 or 40 times a day, it gets old pretty quickly. That's no exaggeration - it's books books books all day long.

So I read him a story, get to the end - and he flips the book back to the beginning and wants to hear it again! And again, and again. Around the third or fourth reading he usually loses interest, and gets another book or wanders off.

I've taken to hiding the books after two reads through - the last sentence in a lot of stories at the moment is 'and then the book mysteriously disappeared!'

I'm sure this is normal toddler behaviour, and it is quite funny. It does test my patience though.

5 comments:

Amita said...

This takes me back about a year to Bella being obsessed by reading a whole book. She is still obsessed by certain books but she walks away and doesn't get through to the end unless we ask her to find animals, lift flaps or make funny noises.
The good thing is she now also reads books by herself naming an animal on each page as she flicks past to the next page.
So enjoy him sitting on your lap reading - it doesn't last long once they are really mobile!

Anonymous said...

Taking after Grandpa, I think!!!!!! Does he want a Latin book?

Mary said...

Well I think it sounds exactly like what anyone would expect a baby of yours to feel about books!!

Maybe he is preparing for the 'Agatha Christie Marathon'

Katzmutha said...

Sounds like his namesake Frank to me.

Nixter said...

'O' loves reading books. He isn't at the stage of flipping back the covers when I finish - I have that to look forward too ;) But when I finish reading to him he starts to get grumpy and cry a little cause he wants more.. He just started doing it about a week ago. I started reading to 'O' when he was a few weeks old - just cause it was something to do - other than change bottoms and feed him. He totally loves it! And so do I! Although I am getting bored of reading the same books over and over - he isn't bored though and it sounds like he probably won't for a long time yet!!