Wednesday 26 August 2009

Attention Span (or lack thereof)

My attention span is shot these days. I don't know if it's because I spend too much time on the internet, flicking from screen to screen, or if life with a kid means my brain has to be constantly running three tracks at the one time , but I find it really hard to sit and focus on one thing.

I'm ok with reading, but tv and movies? It's a struggle to last more than 30 minutes without getting bored. And around the house, I get so easily distracted - between trying to get stuff done, chasing after Hamish and the menagerie, and keeping up with emails, voicemail and texts, it's a rarity for my brain to be still.

I need to work on this - only do one thing at a time! And cut back on having to be connected all the time - there's been a few articles on this recently, like this one by Mia Freeman. It's a not healthy habit, but a hard one to break.

One of my favourite bible verses is "Be still, and know that I am God" (Ps 46:10). Perhaps easier said than done, but well worth taking to heart.

No comments: