Friday 14 August 2009

De-cluttering

We spent a few nights away from home this week, visiting Adam's folks. One of the good things about a break away is the chance to reflect on how things are going at home. It sort of gets me out of my rut.

I realised that one thing that is bothering me at the moment is the amount of clutter at home. There is stuff everywhere! And a lot of it is for a small person...and a lot of it is in the loungeroom.

So today, inspired by a website called Terrific Toddler Tips (linked to by Aimee) I bought a couple of plastic tubs, and have filled them with toys and books. There are four containers, and the idea is to use one a week and then rotate to a new tub - meaning that the toys and books a) are more interesting to Hamish (and us!) as he won't get to see them all every day, and b) the clutter in the loungeroom is one quarter of what it was before!

Feels very satisfying. Now to see if the plan actually works....

1 comment:

Mary said...

That's a great idea!

I have a similar system with my clothes except instead of using 'plastic tubs' the device that provides me with pleasant suprises of nearly forgotten clothes every so often is 'the washing basket'...