Tuesday 7 August 2007

Heaven lies about us in our infancy!

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting
And cometh from afar;
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!

W Wordsworth


My friend's baby died last Monday, I've been feeling sad since hearing the news. Mum sent me this poem, which I think is beautiful. It's part of a larger poem, called "Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood".

2 comments:

Natt said...

*big hugs*
Heya Al, I am so sorry to hear that! :( I can't even begin to imagine what they must be going through, but my thoughts and prayers are with them, am here if you need me
Luv Natt XO

Katzmutha said...

It's a lovely poem, Al.I like the bit about God being our home.