Thursday 15 April 2010

Getting out of the house...

...is a challenge with a toddler and newborn! The effort involved seems to have increased exponentially with the addition of an extra child. Hamish is lucky to exit the house with matching socks, let alone shoes. Actually, he's lucky to have socks on at all!

And you know that cliched picture of a harried mum who looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards? That's me. By the time I get both kids ready to go, it's too late to worry about how I look. Not that I ever used to worry all that much, but lately I have regularly found myself doing an appearance self audit after I leave the house instead of before. No awful fashion faux pas yet, but I'm waiting for the day where I get halfway down the street and realize I'm in my PJ's or have my toothbrush in my hair or something.

Feels like it's only a matter of time.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I have left the house without shoes at least once or twice - it's not so bad.

I also have spend most of my life wearing mismatched socks as I never managed to keep a pair together. Now I boycott socks altogether and no longer worry. Of course I still have to remember shoes which as state above, is apparently a challenge haha!

Jules has an excellent system for socks though - he justs buys the same kind of black socks, like 10 pairs, and then doesn't worry about keeping them in pairs. They are all free range in the draw and any two he picks up will always match

ud said...

Socks - blah !

If I lost a few kilos I could probably reach down & put socks on again. But then they only have to be washed


(only kidding .... well)

Alison said...

Hmmm, freerange socks - I like it!

Katzmutha said...

Yesterday I was in Coles at the checkout and the checkout chick told me I was wearing my shirt inside out! I'd been to the chiropractor and didn't realise I put it on the wrong way.

ud said...

Checkout people do more than just checking out. I guess eventually their jobs, like railway ticket sellers will give way to self-help. I try to buy a train ticket at the window but there's not always someone there ~ and the machine is easy to use. The ones in supermarkets are easy too !

Alison said...

Have you seen the self checkouts at Woolies and Big W? I like them.