Sunday 1 February 2009

Funeral

We returned yesterday from travelling to Inverell to attend the funeral of Adam's pop. He died on Australia Day.

It was a sad trip and very moving to attend the graveside funeral. Death is confronting and awful - we have no answer for it.

Adam's mum and brother gave eulogies about Pop's character - how hard he worked, the things he taught them, and the example he was. The RSL gave a short speech too, and they put poppies on the coffin. They played the Last Post.

The preacher spoke of the comfort we have in Jesus - that we are not alone at the moment of death if we trust in Him. They played a tape of Amazing Grace and asked us to reflect on our memories of Pop while it played. It was a bit strange for me because I've been singing the same song to Hamish lately to help him go to sleep. He slept through most of the service - I did give him a toy mirror at one stage to distract him and he started talking to himself very loudly so I had to take it off him! He was very well behaved thankfully.

I guess I didn't know Pop very well, but I do have a great deal of affection for him. He was a lovely old man who we will miss. I'm glad we were able to go to say farewell.

No comments: