Monday 25 August 2008

The passing of time

I've had lots of thoughts floating round the last couple of weeks, about the passing of time and how we should live life. I don't really know how to put it into words, but I'll try! It's still all a bit of a mish-mash in my head, but perhaps writing it down will help me clarify it.


I guess I've become aware of time passing in my life and how we are all, inevitably, headed towards the grave. Sobering I know, but I think if we are to die in the end, that must impact on how we live now.


Obviously having Hamish has brought this to mind, particulary when introducing him to his great grandparents - seeing the youngest generation meeting the eldest is very special, and speaks of the passing of time. Also the fact that Adam and I have been together for long enough now for our shared memories to go back over 10 years which is a bit strange! We're entering our next decade, the 30's, which is an apt time for reflection on where we're at in life, and where we're heading.

Sometimes it seems to me that the longer life goes on, the more sad stuff happens - and more joyful stuff happens too. Life in all its beauty and ugliness unfolds before us and both aspects grow stronger the longer we are on this earth. I've become more aware of the unavoidability of this and how little control I really have over the world around me. The uncertainty is scary, but I know God is in control and looks after His children. I also know that nothing will be perfect in this world, and that God's plan extends beyond my years here.

Living life is like running a marathon where the finish line is not death, but just beyond it. We're not here to achieve perfection or 'nirvana' in this life, but to be part of God's family in the ever after, beyond this world and beyond death.

Anyway, tied in with this is how I want to approach raising kids. So far I've come to the conclusion that the great duty of parents is to prepare their kids for their journey through the world and to point them towards Heaven.

This means teaching our kids how to run their own race and giving them the tools they need to make it to the end - to appreciate the beauty and comprehend the ugliness, and to make it across the finish line into God's kingdom. What a huge privilege and responsibility.

My prayer for Hamish is that, at the end of his life, he will be able to echo the apostle Paul's words to Timothy: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

As for how to achieve this on a practical level, I'm still working on that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post hun, beautiful! :)
Awesome new layout too.

Mary said...

I'd say lead by example to help with the practical part of this!!