Friday 15 August 2008

Attracting Attention

Going out in public with a baby in a sling is a sure-fire way to attract attention. Every time I've been out with Hamish so far at least two people have stopped to comment. Often it's older women saying what a good idea it is, and how they didn't have slings back in their day.

The other most common reaction is people doing double takes, and then saying (either to me or whoever they are with) "Oh, it's a baby in there!!"

We also get mums saying to their kids "Can you see the little baby?"

I've been reading a little bit today about 'babywearing' - there's a school of thought that reckons it's the best way to nurture a baby because they are close to you and feel secure. For me, I like it because it keeps my hands free, allows me to get around without a bulky pram, settles Hamish quickly, and feels nice! It's a lovely way to bond. I do think it's a bit funny after having a baby inside for 9 months to put them in cots and prams etc straight away. It makes sense that they want to be held.

Does get tiring though - but not as much as just holding them in your arms.

5 comments:

Nixter said...

which sling did you end up going for and do you like it?

Alison said...

It's a home made version of the Hug-a-Bub (www.hugabub.com)and I quite like it- takes a bit of getting used to re how to use it but its easy once you get the hang of it.

Katzmutha said...

Surely it's time for more photos of him,Al!

Mary said...

I was having a look at the site - looks like a very loving way to carry Hamish around - and for a lot of situations more practical too!!

ud said...

The poor mummy possums carry bubs around on their backs for too long. It sometimes looks like another adult possum on their back !