Saturday 31 October 2009

Halloween

The streets around our house are swarming with halloweeners - or hallo-teensters as perhaps they should be referred to. The average age of the kids seems to be at least over 10, and I find I object to the concept of giving out lollies to kids that whose ages are in double figures. It seems a little mercenary of them somehow.

And can I just say how inappropriate some of their costumes are? Particularly the girls. I haven't seen many spooky outfits - more vampy if anything. Angels, fairies and demons seem to be the go this year - and pretty racy looking ones too! Seriously - I wouldn't go knocking on strangers' doors dressed like some of these kids.

Luckily for us, we have left Ruby out the front on border patrol, so we haven't had any knocks on the door. I'm all for handing out treats to younger kids - in fact one of my favourite halloween moments was in Leichhardt a few years back, when a dad from up the road came over with some lollies, and asked us to give them to his little girls when he came around with them later that day! It was very sweet.

1 comment:

ud said...

Aww - that's nice (the Leichhardt dad)


I think most people are happy to give a few lollies to littlies but if you want to take it further, go to the USA.