Wednesday 26 December 2007

Cleaning

This morning I have cleaned up our computer desk. I think it probably had about 6 months worth of stuff piled up on it and it's such a relief to be able to see the desktop again!

This is a sign that I am on holidays - I've had a few days of resting and getting Christmas stuff done, but now it's action stations - time to get things done that annoy me when I'm working but I don't have time to do normally. Usually this involves Putting Things Away or Rearranging A Room. I'm prone to starting with great enthusiasm and then deciding I've had enough when everything is strewn across the floor waiting to go to its new spot. The key is to pace myself and be realistic.

I think there's a therapeutic aspect to it - getting my house in order. I always do it when I'm on holidays, usually towards the beginning. Maybe it helps dispel some of the stress of working and then I can relax.

What are your holiday rituals?

4 comments:

ud said...

Cleaning-up is boring stuff but I've found it can be invoked by wanting to move something fom one spot to another. The cleaning follows as part of the job & it's usually not so arduous & you feel good.

I've also discovered that kittens playing behind doors & under cupboards pick up dust bunnies which can be disposed-of. Sort of like little dusting implements on paws.

Speaking of bunnies, we had Angel here today, playing with Pops & Toots. Angel just rabbited on, sniffing everything. P&T however were unsure about the funny white visitor & looked on with caution.

Alison said...

This is why you need a digital camera UD, to capture such moments. In my experience though cats create more mess than they clean up.

Katzmutha said...

My cats are not interested in cleaning up anything. Unfortunately.

Holiday rituals - I must have reading material, that's the first thing. Then I also have to have a piece of cross-stitch to work on. I have a horror of being bored. There are lots of cleaning possibilities, which I ignore for as long as possible. Holidays give me time in the garden, which is good. Time to look at the weeds and send them telepathic messages that their days are numbered. I like to go to the country too,and see my friends there.

Mary said...

you most likely clean during holidays because you are related to Dad and we all know that as soon as the holidays come around in Berowra the place must be spotless!!