Tuesday 19 January 2010

Hippie Tales #1: Poo Free

I've gone poo free - shampoo, that is!

A while back I came across some posts on the blogosphere about not using shampoo, and thought I'd give it a go.

The idea is that shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils, which makes your scalp work extra hard to replace them. This is turn makes your hair oilier than it would be otherwise, forcing you to wash more often. And because the oils are stripped each wash, we condition to try to smooth out our hair again! This process is not all that great for your hair, and can be expensive to maintain.

So now, instead of washing my hair with shampoo, I use bi carb soda. I mix it up with some water and rub it in, then rinse. It works really well, is cheap, and doesn't contain harsh chemicals.

So far I've continued to use normal conditioner, but yesterday I tried the alternative instead - rinsing with a bit of apple cider vinegar. It seems to have worked quite well, although it did feel a bit strange to put salad dressing on my head.

Being pregnant helps keep my hair healthy but even taking that into account, I have to say that going poo free has been great - on the budget, and on my head!

6 comments:

Katzmutha said...

Wow, Alison, this is amazing! I spend so much money on good shampoo and good conditioner. I'm very interested in hearing how things are in a few weeks. I may be a convert.

ud said...

Papa will be keen to now too.

Mary said...

I have heard about this theory and seen it in action. I have to say I have my doubts but I am interested to see how yours goes.

I suppose the money question depends on how often you wash your hair. I only seem to need to do mine once a week or so, so one bottle of $3 shampoo goes quite a long way for me.

Also reminds me of a muppet quote. They're at the 'wig races' (just picture it) and the commentator is interviewing one of the wig owners:

Interviewer: Do you use shampoo on your wigs?
Wig owner: No! I do not use shampoo....only use real poo!

Alison said...

I've been using the bicarb for at least 6 months with no worries so I recommend giving it a try if it interests you - it certainly isn't going to hurt your hair. As for real poo...well, leave that to the muppets I say!

ud said...

'Sham Poo' (why would you buy such a dodgy product ?)



Ho ho ho - me like.




As for Bi-Carb of Soda. Shouldn't you put your head in a pre-heated oven & wait for it to rise ?

Alison said...

lol Ud - yeah, just add flour for a tasty meal on your head!