Tuesday 5 May 2009

How To Cook A Choko (or, An Exercise In Futility)

1. Behold the choko.














2. Attack the choko with a peeler.














3. Chop up and place in microwave dish.








4. Cook for 4 minutes, as per instructions from parents.

5. While cooking, melt some butter in a saucepan. Add garlic, salt and pepper - basically anything that will obscure the taste of the choko.











6. Remove choko from microwave and drain water. Realise that parental time prediction was inaccurate and choko is, in fact, not cooked at all. Add more water and return to microwave for another 4 minutes. In the meantime, burn the garlic on the stove, and give cardboard box to baby for pre-meal entertainment.

7. Decide to cook scrambled eggs for lunch.

8. Remove choko from microwave, drain water, realise it is still rock hard, decide you don't care anymore and add to saucepan.









9. Add more butter. Twice. It's very important the first time to drop it on the stovetop instead of in the saucepan, as demonstrated in the photo:








10. Burn the eggs.

11. Put choko in a bowl, and take a photo, steaming up the camera lense in the process.








12. Remove cardboard from baby's mouth.

13. Try to eat choko but give up. Serve eggs on toast.









14. Try again tomorrow!

8 comments:

Mary said...

Not many people know that best way to harvest chokos is to take a small sister with you on the expidition and load the chokos into the hood of her jumper.

They live up to their name then

Katzmutha said...

Chokos are repulsive and should be banned. My first and last experience of them was in 1963, when I went to a National Fitness camp(Iwas in year 6). Chokos featured heavily on the menu. Yuk, yuk, yuk!!!

ud said...

That's nuth'n. Ever tried a durian?It's an Asian fruit. Tastes like vomit. Coles sell it.

Tom brought some dried durian back from the Philippines. He was rolling around laughing after getting me to try some. Blloughggg...


I remember the choko harvesting. Definitely the small sister was vastly outnumbered by big ones.

Anonymous said...

Obviously you didn't listen well enough Alison...Hamish must have been interrupting at the vital moment!!
1. Cut it up
2. Put it in a saucepan of water to cover, or a steamer, and boil till soft. Steaming is better.
3. Drain and serve with butter, salt and pepper and garlic.
4. Eat it...it is v nice.
5. I don't know where you got the idea of using the microwave, as I don't know how to cook anything in them myself!
6. Why don't you have another go...

Alison said...

Putting it in the microwave is the same as boiling it on the stove - we do all our vegies this way. And I recall asking how long it had to cook for and was told a few minutes. However, I bow to your greater experience...perhaps you will have to give me a demonstration some time!

Ud I have never tried a Durian - and based on your description I think I'm glad!

KM this fitness camp keeps popping up in conversation - must have been a bit of an experience!

ud said...

That picture of Hamish in his 'ears-beanie' is just too much. A guy on a mission !

Anonymous said...

he is v cute

Katzmutha said...

The Fitness Camp was an ordeal, Alison. It was a whole week long and it was my first ever time away from home. I got seriously homesick. I was walking in my sleep at night ( prbably trying to walk home.)I have probably never cried so much in my whole life as I did that week. And we had to eat chokos!