Monday 15 December 2008

In Defence of the Welcoming Wife

A joke email that does the rounds every now and again lists guidelines from the 1950's for a wife to follow to welcome her husband home. A selection of the tips can be read here.

It's basically stuff like make sure you have a meal on the table when hubby gets home; tidy the house before he arrives; make sure you look nice, etc.


While some of the suggestions might be a little over the top, and I don't particularly like the inference in some of them that the husband's day is more important that the wife's, I've been thinking for some time that I agree with the basic principle - make your home a welcoming and relaxing place for your husband to come home to.

As I'm at home the most, I've got a lot of influence over the environment here - even when I've had a rotten day, I can choose to do a quick tidy up before 5pm, or leave the mess so he has to step over toys to get in the door. I can have a plan for dinner (however vague or basic) or I can leave it up to him to feed himself. Whichever choice I make has an impact, for good or bad, on his day and our home life.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a wife treating her husband as an important person at the end of the working day - in fact, I think it's a very good thing. I want Adam to look forward to coming home each evening. It's a highlight of my day - and it should be a highlight of his too!

1 comment:

Giraffe Pen said...

What freaks me out is that enormous grin on the woman in that cartoon... I know godly women enjoy looking after their husbands and homes but does she have to look so happy about it, especially when housework's so HARD? JH told me 10 minutes ago how much work she does in our studio apartment and I was stunned... SO much goes on here when I'm at work!