Sunday 7 December 2008

Art vs Science

I've come to realise that caring for a baby is an art, not a science.

I've been getting very stressed about a plus b not equalling c. It's hard not to feel like a failure when you do everything you think you're meant to and the results aren't there - but then it's not about results really. A baby isn't a science experiment.

So what is it about? It's about growing a family, and sometimes, just about getting through the day. It's about taking two steps forward, one step back. It's about marvelling at this little person, made in God's image. It's about poo and spew and sleepless nights - desperately wishing they were over whilst not wanting to let go of the precious moments.

It's about the best of times and the worst of times - all rolled into one!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I think I relaxed a lot more when I realised that. And also when I realised that being a good mum *didn't* equal your baby never crying. And that letting them cry a bit to learn to sleep isn't being a bad mother (I'm not saying everyone has to do this - just that I had to figure out what worked best for us, rather than worry about what other people thought/said).

I think that's the hardest thing about first time motherhood - working out what works best for you and for your child. It's such an art, but then, i guess that makes it interesting! :)

Giraffe Pen said...

Aw, you're bubba's so cute Alison! You're blessed (Ps. 127, 128).