Monday 26 November 2007

'Tis The Season

I really like this time of year, because it's the lead up to Christmas. Although I don't like the crowds in the shops, or the huge amount of junk mail stuffed in our letterbox that seems convinced that Christmas is all about spending, I do like the festive nature of the whole thing.

I particularly enjoy and appreciate Christmas traditions - the things families and individuals do every year to mark the occasion. One of my favourite memories of growing up is Dad reading us "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas eve every year, always pausing dramatically at a key moment in the line "Away to the window I flew like a flash,tore open the shutter, and threw up...the sash!"

My latest tradition (only two years old!) is to buy a few really nice things to hang on the tree. Nice tree decorations are not cheap so I only get a few, plus I think it will be great to look back in years to come at a collection amassed bit by bit. This year I got a few vintage looking ornaments from the shop Bed Bath and Table - they have great decorations and I had to hold back from buying more.

What's your favourite Christmas tradition?

5 comments:

Nixter said...

Thanks so much for meeting for lunch and for the lovely angel - I love it and I enjoyed hanging out and catching up!

Hope to do it again soon!

Alison said...

It was good fun - I always enjoying catching up :) We'll have to organise another one in a few weeks.

Nixter said...

Here is the answer to that 98% v 2% thing on my blog!

You just thought about a red hammer, didn't you?

If this is not your answer, you are among 2% of people who have a different, if not abnormal, mind.

98% of the folks would answer a red hammer while doing this exercise.

I am in the 'abnormal' category and thought of a 'purple spanner'....

Alison said...

That is very weird....

Katzmutha said...

Al, I'm pleased to see that you've started collecting Christmas decorations. I've been doing that for many years and have a big collection.You're right about the expensive ones being the best. I like little decorations. I have a lot of angels and other cute decorations. I only have a small tree though, so I have to choose "the look" for each year.

I must say that CHRISTMAS MUSIC is pretty high on my list of important things for the season.

Years ago, when I lived @ the real Asquith,the King's College Lessons and Carols were obligatory Christmas fare, as was the Queen's message.