Monday 25 June 2007

Foggy day

My brain feels like it is in a bit of a fog today. I think it’s in coping mode – to get through this week before I’m on holidays. It will be a busy week, with end of financial year looming. It’s also foggy outside the train window on my way to work, which is quite pretty, especially across the Hawkesbury River.

We had a good sermon at church yesterday, it was about wisdom. It gave me some food for thought, particularly about how I make decisions. I think I will be mulling over it some more, although perhaps not until my brain switches back on!

Something else I am mulling over is how involved I should be in church activities – I don’t have much time for it at the moment because work takes up so much of my week, and I’m not sure if this is a bad situation or not really something to worry about. I like to be involved at church as I think we are called to encourage and support one another, and how can you effectively do that when you’re not there? But I also think my priorities are legitimate (work and home) and it would be foolish to neglect them. I am leaning towards the view that “ministry” is not limited to time spent at church but should be how we live our whole lives, so wherever we are we can minister to others. Having said that it is important to be in a church community and I do make it to either bible study and/or church most weeks.

4 comments:

ud said...

Well - I guess you can see Church as something on its own, or something you always carry with you. Just because you're not there doesn't mean you're not there.

Alison said...

Wise words UD, I hadn't thought of it like that before. I guess it's not all about practical "doing" things, although it would be nice to have more time for that.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, this is not exactly on the topic but I just wanted to join the blog. I so don't get blogs ... I've been left behind in this information age but hey - this is my first try and maybe I might even get addicted. Stranger things have happened. Regarding the topic of church - church is just another word for 'gathering' or 'assembly' so church is people getting together. Jesus did talk about church being his people whom he dwells among so I think there is undoubtably a strong 'corporate' aspect of church. Heaps more to say but I gotta go and do some stuff before my one month old is due for his next feed!

Alison said...

Hey Amy, welcome to the blogosphere! I agree with you that church is a gathering, another way of thinking about it is to see it as a family, which suggests we should have a fairly high level of commitment to meeting and supporting the other members.
I think one way I can support others at church, even if I don't have lots of time to go to events, is to pray for them. We do have a prayer diary, I will have to remember to get a copy.
I also think that, when it comes donw to it, my life is busier than it should be with work (and the traveling to get there!) so I need to get some balance back at some stage.
Hope your boy is being good - I'm sure he's keeping you busy!