Tuesday 28 June 2011

Meanwhile...

Michael is unwell, and Hamish appears to be coming down with the same bug.

My heart sinks when I first realise they are getting sick - it means snotty noses, even less sleep than usual, panadol, snot, fess, tissues, snot, etc etc. And of course, that they don't feel well!

It also means you can't go out as much as usual, and cabin fever is never far away. I definitely get a strong case of the 'woe-is-me's at these times.

But I was thinking this morning that sickness is not an interruption to life, it is just part of life. It means switching parenting gears a bit, but it's not an inconvenience, it's part of the main game. A chance to look after my kids, re-prioritise, and simplify as much as possible.

We had our church mum's bookclub last weekend, and a great point came up - God gave us our particular children, for us to look after, and to deal with whatever issues this may bring. They are best off with us, in other words, and we are ideally equipped to look after them, even if we feel inadequate or overwhelmed at times.

I'm not sure if I've expressed that properly, but I've found it a comforting thought this week.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Well put, something to keep in mind when the chips are down and you have to keep chugging along.

Natt said...

I wish I had've gotten my laptop out sooner and looked at that post because it is SO relevant at the moment, Tajie is just coming out the other side of yet another bout of illness and I have been seriously doubting my mothering abilities...so my dear, wonderful friend, thank you :) XOXO