Tuesday 19 October 2010

Some Changes in Perspective

We are so well off. Compared to the many in the world, we have wealth plus plus plus. Got running water? You're doing better than almost 90% of the earth's population.

What I do has value. Even on the days when it feels like I have achieved nothing. Staying home with kids is significant - to me, to my family, to God, to society. And when I value it, I enjoy it much more! (Not suggesting it's the only thing that's valuable to do, or better than other things, just that it is a very worthwhile thing to do. I often feel like I'm not achieving much but it's good to remember that the little moments add up to make a life and they all count).

Housework is greatly influenced by social acceptability. I don't actually have to do it all, I just think I need to, so people won't assume I'm a total slob.

It's not that my baby doesn't match the books, but that the books don't match my baby. So I can ignore them and get on with enjoying him.

2 comments:

Natt said...

Darl, your latest posts have come at the bestest time ever!! :) I love your attitude (I know it's hard to keep a good attitude and a smile some of the time), I've had one of 'those' weeks with Taj being sick, my paid materinity leave officially finishing and the house looking like a bomb has hit it, your blog has just reminded me that in the long run, the house work will get done eventually, the dishes won't crawl away by themselves and that what I'm doing at home is VERY important, and my job is just as important as Lee's. Oh and most importantly, spending time with Taj and making sure he's happy and healthy is really all that matters. So thank you so much. *huge hugs* XOXOX

Alison said...

Happy to help! And yeah it is all about the attitude sometimes...hard to maintain the positive vibes but worth it to get a healthy perspective. I do struggle with it some days.

Hope Taj gets better soon, it is very hard when they are not well.