Thursday 7 October 2010

I'm a wimp

When it comes to killing snails. We've got hoards of them in the garden, and as I am planting a vegie patch I figured it was time to cull some.


I was going to put pellets down, until I read the packets - they say they have 'child resistant flavouring' - which I take to mean they are not good for littlies to eat! And I know Hamish would definitely eat them. So that option was out.


Then I decided I would have to drown them. But once I started to pick them up and put them in the bucket, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. They are so cute!

So plan C - collect them all up and dump them around the other side of the house, and hope they don't find theu way back in a hurry.



Of course, the little blighters didn't want to stay in the bucket! But I managed to move all the ones I could see. This was within a few square metres mind you - plenty more in the rest of the yard. I imagine I'll have to do regular collections...

7 comments:

ud said...

Let them live. Uphold the sanctity of life.

Nice to see Saffy helping, with a look of concern.

Katzmutha said...

You're not a wimp, Al, you just have respect for the sanctity of life. I just let the garden creatures be themselves. I hate it when people have to kill things that get in their way. I don't even kill cockroaches.

Alison said...

Yeah I leave the cockroaches too, although I have been known to put down baits for them.

Saffy was interested...she usually is when I try to take a photo! Shoves her big head in the way.

I have trouble reconciling the idea of not wanting to hurt bugs etc but being happy to eat meat...I usually end up putting that thought in the too hard basket.

Katzmutha said...

Me too, though I won't buy veal, pork & bacon.

Natt said...

you could always get Hamish to do what my brother used to do...he used to ride his bike up and down the street singing out 'Snails for Sale!!!!' :D

Mary said...

For me the meat thing is separate because our bodies are designed to eat it and benefit from it. Bugs, not so much.

I can't kill bugs very easily myself but I've recently be ok with the small cockroaches. Everything else I either find too gross to be near enough to kill or I have nothing against them, like spiders.

I recently saw a GIANT live tarantula in a museum, no joke the size of a dinner plate, and my stomach flipped flopped over and I quite literally had to move away from the exhibit. Obviously the cave-woman in me wasn't too keen on bugs back in the day.

ud said...

I can just see Hamish selling snails. And you know what? I think his Mum will be la initiateur ....