Friday 13 March 2009

Progress

So, I have been very tired this week. The phrase that came to mind yesterday was 'bitterly tired'. lol I wasn't in a very good mood at the time!

But, after talking with the local community health nurse and a tresillian nurse, and having had an afternoon nap, I tried a new settling technique last night for Hamish and it worked - he slept much better. I only had to get up twice (as opposed to the 3 or 4 times we've been used to lately). And he was a lot more settled throughout the evening instead of constantly waking and crying out, so I was more relaxed and positive after a few hours of quiet.

It's amazing the difference it makes getting 4 hrs solid sleep compared to 3 hrs. Of course, because I was used to being up so often, I spent half the night awake wondering when I'd next have to get up!

The only thing I did differently to bring on this change of behaviour was to start teaching Hamish to go back to sleep without being picked up first. It was actually relatively easy - although it did take an hour at first for him to cooperate - I would leave him for a few minutes and he'd scream the house down, but when I went back in (after say 3 minutes) he'd end up smiling after not too long so I knew he wasn't really too distressed. I left him alone for good when he was lying there blowing the world's biggest raspberries at me.

I still fed him twice overnight, because he's used to it, but it was longer in between feeds than normal so I felt it was a step in the right direction.

Let's see if he can do it again tonight.....

3 comments:

Mary said...

That's great Al! Hopefully things will continue in that way and he'll get more and more used to going to sleep on his own.

And isn't about time you and Adam went out for a meal and got an aunt in for some baby time? (hint hint nudge nudge :D)

Alison said...

haha yes, I'm afraid Mum has that particular market cornered at the moment! You're welcome to come up any time though, perhaps we can come to some arrangement...

ud said...

Yes - It's time Hamish learnt how to be coote but norty from Auntie Arner, and others who shall remain nameless at this point.