Saturday 5 December 2009

Vale, VCR

Adam and I decided to get a PlayTV for Christmas - it's a digital receiver for the Playstation 3 and allows us to record TV to the playstation, and fastforward and rewind live TV.

It only cost $125, which is far cheaper than the alternatives (Foxtel IQ or Tivo being the main ones) and we now have access to all the digital channels.

But - it means we don't really need the VCR anymore. I remember buying my first VCR back in 1996 before I headed off to uni - it was a big deal for me, partly because it was my first big purchase once I'd started working, but mainly because I was seriously into television back then.
I used to tape and keep all sorts of junk - Medivac being an example that springs to mind!

That VCR ran for years. It died a slow death - it used to freeze up and I'd have to take the lid off to get it working again. We put up with that for some time before eventually getting a new one. Even then, it was years before I could bring myself to chuck the original one in the bin.

So I feel sort of wistful and sad to pack away the VCR today. I know all technology will have its day, but this is one piece of it I am a little emotionally attached to.

2 comments:

ud said...

Alison + VCR are wedded words.

Don't ever stray far from your VCR. You've been through too much together.

Who could forget Barge-Arse... "Has anyone seen my two bread rolls".

Stay faithful to your VCR and if you ever need one at any time, I've got 2 spare.

goldy said...

That's impressive taking the lid off to make it work!

Oh , and I've tagged you for a christmas recipe.

http://goldymich.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-recipe-meme.html