Wednesday 25 November 2009

On The March


The cicadas are out in force at the moment. We've found quite a few shells in the garden.

I used to love collecting the shells from Grandma and Papa's place when I was a kid, I remember doing it around Christmas time and filling icecream containers with them.

Kids used to take live cicadas to school in buckets to show off their collection, until the teachers banned it. There used to be all different sorts of cicadas with funny names, like Floury Baker and Cherry Eyes. I don't know if they are all around anymore, we only see one or two varieties here.

3 comments:

ud said...

Good photos Al !

Amita said...

I love collecting cicadas too.
I was walking down our street, which is actually a busy road, and found a lovely shiny green Christmas bettle. Bella loved it once she made sure he was "sleeping".

Katzmutha said...

Yes, i can remember lots of excitement generated by cicadas at Asquith. And the empty shells were also pretty exciting.