Sunday 30 November 2008

Things I've been learning about looking after babies


1. There may or may not be a right answer.

2. No-one can tell you if there is an answer, or what it is.

3. When you think you've found the answer, it will work for 48 hours max.

4. Babies don't have an instruction manual, and if they did, they would ignore it.

5. Things you know you could manage with one hand tied behind your back on a normal day become impossible when you've been woken up every 2 hours overnight.

6. It's possible to feel completely over it and frustrated, and completely joyful in the same moment.

7. Apparently everyone who is a parent is Only Just Coping. This is a closely guarded secret, revealed only to other only-just-coping parents.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Hey Alison

So glad you are completely joyful in being a mother, despite also being completely frustrated! Its a feeling I understand :)

Just one suggestion - have you tried Trisillian? I found they had good answers to my questions and I also had a 'Mothercraft nurse' (I found her through google)who had worked previously at Trisillian come over and help me at home with settling P when she was younger. I think you can get some money back if you have private health insurance. I found it really really helpful.

Totally up to you though!

He is such a cutie!! Well done on the cloth nappy thing too - I use cloth nappies a bit, but not as much as I was planning to before P was born...I've been a bit slack on that one...

Alison said...

Hey Aimee, thanks - I have called tresillian for advice over the phone before, they were really helpful. I'm trying a few new techniques from a book called "the No Cry Sleep Solution" and so far so good, can see some improvement but time will tell if it really works or not! There's a day care cottage up here as well that you can book into for help with sleep, it's sort of my last resort option up my sleeve. It is good to know I'm not the only one without all the answers :)

I use some disposables as well, but enjoy the cloth more...couldn't do it without the clothes dryer!

I loved your photo of P packing herself, so cute!

Katzmutha said...

I'm not a parent, but I am certainly Only Just Coping.

Alison said...

I wonder if most people are Only Just Coping. Hmmm.