Wednesday 4 June 2008

Quick update

This is what I have been up to lately:
  • Washing and sorting baby clothes. All very cute!
    Walking the dogs by myself - they are a lot easier to handle when they've had some exercise. I take them somewhere they can run off-leash, because I don't have the energy to walk them on the lead for very long.
  • Trying to get comfortable - my back muscles are doing strange things and it's often hard to find a comfy position. Invariably as soon as I find one, I realise I have to get up again to do something, or I've forgotten something, so I haul myself up and lumber off!
  • Struggling to put my shoes on - my feet seem to be a long way away and not really all that accessible.
  • Cooking dinner each night and doing the weekly shop - I've taken over some of the household stuff Adam and I used to share more when we were both working. I have to make sure I rest in the afternoon so I have the energy to get through the evening. It seems to be working relatively ok, although sometimes I have grand ideas about what to cook and when the time comes couldn't be bothered.
  • Picking up dog poo on a regular basis. Amazing how productive the dogs are in that department.
  • Watching daytime TV - although not too much because it is really awful. Usually I just have it on for background noise.

This all sounds very domestic doesn't it! Making matters more complicated is the fact that I feel like an emotional yo-yo - some days are good, some not so good, and in fact I can have a good morning and bad afternoon, or vice versa, and it seems to be unpredictable. So my main tactic is to lie down once a day at least for a rest, and to NOT DECLARE A CRISIS! Because if you declare a crisis, suddenly everything seems too hard to cope with. But if you don't declare one, life will usually improve on its own.

6 comments:

Katzmutha said...

Sounds like you have a lot to do at the moment, Al.

ud said...

We never declare a crisis - we just make a cup of tea. And it works every time.

Mary said...

If you run out of tea can you declare that to be a crisis?

Alison said...

Has that ever happened?

ud said...

I remember once (mid 1960s) Gran ran out of tea & got UT (who was really just T at the time) to go next door with a cup to get a bit of leaf tea (no-one knew about tea bags).

We used to get groceries in Hornsby once a week. Neighbours were more supportive of each other then. These days we have improved transport,communications,facilities Oh well.....

Anyway... UT said to the lady "Can Mum have a cup of tea please?" (Like something out of 'Oliver')

The lady realised after a while that Mrs Aysom had run out of leaf tea.....Not that she wanted a cup of tea! I remember her laughing heartily.
(I was probably lying-in, with a cat on the bed)

Katzmutha said...

Oh, the old days! You could buy a packet of chips at the school canteen for 5 cents, but I never had that kind of money to spare.